Tuesday, January 6, 2015

First Contact – Part 6 – Mormons



As I was finishing up college, I had some free time on my hands before starting my new job. I would sit up late each night reading. I read mostly the various photography and astronomy magazines I subscribed to and science fiction novels. However, I would occasionally grow tired of these, so began reading the Old Testament in the Bible. I made it through about 2 Kings before it was time to head to Alabama to start my career.

I soon got busy with other things and quit reading the Bible. However, I would occasionally discuss religion with friends and coworkers. One person suggested I get a copy of the New American Standard version of the Bible as he thought it was one of the better translations. I did. Over time I came to realize that several people I knew at work were Mormon. I was familiar with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, knowing about the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, Joseph Smith and the golden plates, and the church’s family orientation. But I had never actually studied with a Mormon. That changed when a university cooperative student named Sam came to work for me. I found out Sam was also Mormon and began asking some questions about his faith. He soon set up a meeting between me and a couple of missionaries.

I guess I was sort of searching at that point in my life. Even though I had for many years felt like there was a God, but did not believe in any particular God, I felt like there had to be more to religion. After all, there were many people who did believe in a particular God and had a particular faith. Could they all be wrong? I didn’t know for sure. But I was willing to discuss it to find out.

I met once a week with the Mormon missionaries at Sam’s apartment. I found the studies somewhat interesting, but I was a bit dismayed by their approach. Rather than pointing out the evidence for believing the Bible and the Book of Mormon, they rather asked that I pray during the week for God to reveal to me the truthfulness of the these books. I did that, but got no response. I also attended the local Mormon Church a time or two. Then one week the missionaries told me that they thought I needed to set a date to join the church. They believed that if I showed God I was serious, he would honor that date and bring me to belief before it arrived. That did not set well with me. I told them that I didn’t think it was a good idea to basically push God into revealing himself to me on my schedule rather than his. So, I broke off my studies with them. Fortunately, Sam understood and we remained friends. Interestingly, a few years later Sam left the Mormon Church.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I ultimately ended up joining the Church of Christ, only to become an agnostic about seven years later. While I was a member of the church, a couple of Mormon missionaries came to my apartment while door knocking. I let them in. After some introductions, we began discussing the Bible in earnest. It was at that point that I realized how inexperienced some of these missionaries are. I began questioning some of their beliefs in light of what the Bible said. Often they were unaware of the Biblical statements or lacked an understanding of what the verses were saying. Again, it seemed that they believed that our faith should come directly from God via prayer rather than by study and understanding.

After my deconversion, I recall sitting in a booth at our company’s snack bar with a fellow employee that I didn’t know very well. I did, however, know he was Mormon. Our conversation turned to religion and I told him of my current beliefs. At this point in my agnosticism I liked asking religious people whether or not they believed I was going to hell. I let them know that I would not be offended by any answer they might give. After all, I would tell them, they were not going to be my judge, God was. This particular fellow found himself unable to give me an answer no matter how much I urged him to answer and no matter how much assurance I gave him that I would not be upset by any answer he gave. I assumed that if he believed I was alright in God’s eyes, he would tell me so. Thus, his reluctance to answer told me that he did indeed believe I was lost, but just couldn't bring himself to tell me.

The one thing that I find very interesting about people who are confident about their salvation and other people’s lack of it, is that they typically believe that many of those lost people truly believe they are saved when in fact they are not. If that is possible, then is it not possible for those people themselves to be wrong about their own salvation. Think about it. If you are confident you are right with God, you don’t even know to seek something different so that you will truly be right with God.

Several years ago my work took me to the Salt Lake City region of Utah where I was able to visit the Salt Lake Temple. It is something to see. While walking around the courtyard during one visit, a couple of missionaries started a discussion with me. I explained my religious background and told them why I was now agnostic. We had a nice conversation. They even told me about the some of the people memorialized there with statues. That is the last time I remember talking to Mormons about religious matters.

Like so many other religious people, I always found the Mormons to be courteous and nice people. They are strong on family values, which I like. But I personally cannot subscribe to their faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment