Monday, February 23, 2015

First Contact – Part 22 – United Methodist



The first time I remember going to a United Methodist Church was in the mid 1980’s. A young female cooperative student at work—also the daughter of a friend and coworker—invited me to her church across the river in Tuscumbia. It wasn’t a Sunday morning service, but rather a Christmas program. Her sister was going to be performing, so my wife and I decided to attend. It was a good show, and we enjoyed it.

My next time in a United Methodist Church was for a wedding. A daughter of some good friends in the Church of Christ was having her wedding at the First United Methodist Church in Florence. She wanted my friend Ron and me to videotape it. At that time Ron and I shared duties in the sound booth at Chisholm Hills Church of Christ. We were happy to oblige, so we set up a couple of video cameras and microphones at the church and recorded the wedding.

It would not be until 1993 that I would attend an actual worship service at a UM church, and the story behind that visit is quite interesting. Kathy and I were members at the Chisholm Hills Church of Christ (CHCC). Our preacher was Joe VanDyke. In the early 1990’s Joe began to occasionally speak about other denominations in a more positive light than usual. He talked about how as a child his family would visit churches of other denominations when they were having revivals and such. While many in the Church of Christ believed that they were the only ones interpreting the Scriptures correctly and thus the only ones going to heaven, Joe began questioning that belief. This was fine by my wife and me since we had never believed we had a lock on the truth anyway. Joe spoke this way so frequently that I just assumed the elders of the church were on board with him. However, one Wednesday evening I found out differently. The elders fired Joe. I was out of town with my job and found out about it from my wife on the phone. I was shocked.

Apparently the elders were not very forthcoming about the reason for the firing, asking the congregation to just trust them. At Joe’s request they did tell everyone it was not over an issue of morality. But other than that no other information was put forth. This did not set well with many of the congregants. Eventually a Sunday afternoon meeting was held to hopefully clear the air, but it still left many dissatisfied. Interestingly, Joe and his family continued to attend CHCC. I asked him one day why he was still coming there given he was fired. He answered, “Where else am I going to go?” In other words, this congregation had been his home for many years. Where else would be a better fit?

Over time the dissatisfaction with the situation increased. A meeting was held at one of the church members’ home. The house was overflowing with people, my wife and I being two of them. We all pretty much agreed that the elders should have been more open with us about the firing so we could decide for ourselves whether or not the right decision had been made. But as it was, we simply did not have enough information to make that judgment. Ultimately the dissenting group decided to have a separate worship service one Sunday. It was held in the Magnolia Room at a local hotel. Joe VanDyke was invited to speak at that service. Long story short, we ultimately decided to break away from CHCC and form a new congregation. Members were asked to submit their suggestions for the new congregation’s name. Someone suggested Magnolia Church of Christ (MCC) since our first meeting had been in the Magnolia Room at the hotel. That was the one selected. Joe was hired as the preacher.

We knew we couldn’t stay in the hotel forever, so we later made arrangements to start meeting at the Little Angel Day School building. This school was just a short distance from North Wood United Methodist Church (NWUMC). The school had limited parking, so NWUMC graciously offered to let us use their parking lot for overflow. Now having a connection with NWUMC, our churches eventually planned a joint service. It had to be held at NWUMC’s building for space reasons.

The big event took place on the evening of September 19, 1993. MCC members converged along with NWUMC members to participate in the joint service. Some of the music that evening had instruments, some didn’t. Our local newspaper called it a historic event. But to me it just seemed like people trying to get along. At one point during the service I had to use the restroom. When I emerged from the sanctuary I noticed a good friend that had stayed with CHCC after the split. Apparently he was there “spying” on the meeting so he could report back to his church. I found it a bit amusing. As it turned out, this friend became ashamed of what he had done and now regrets ever having done it.

Our historic meeting sent shock waves throughout the Church of Christ community. MCC was being chastised in a number of publications. Several local congregations even took out a full page ad in our local newspaper to let people know that they did not approve of MCC’s actions. I found a couple of lingering writings about the evening on the Internet: Truth Magazine and Seek The Old Paths. There are probably more.

Later MCC found an old building in downtown Florence to meet at. Lots of renovations had to be done first. Once settled, MCC invited NWUMC to a joint service at our building. This ultimately led to having alternating annual joint meetings on the anniversary of that first joint meeting.

By the time of the CHCC split, I had already declared myself an agnostic although most people didn’t know it. Given Joe VanDyke’s willingness to take heat over his “liberal” position regarding people in other denominations, I decided I needed to confide in him about my deconversion. I set up a meeting with him one Sunday afternoon at his home. I explained to him my newfound beliefs and how I came about acquiring them. He was a bit surprised and of course didn’t agree with me. But he remained cordial throughout our conversation.

The only other times I have attended a United Methodist Church was for those joint services with NWUMC. That wasn’t very often since it was just a few years later that my wife began going to a Baptist Church and I followed along as I reported in my previous post.

The CHCC split and the supposed falling away of MCC by meeting with the NWUMC was my first major exposure to how divisive religion can be. Of course, I was viewing the events as an outsider, but from within. I was already an agnostic, but I was still involved with the church. It reminded me of a line spoken by Deanna Troi in a 1989 episode of “Star Trek: The Next Generation” entitled “Who Watches the Watchers”. She says, “Are you sure you know what he wants? That's the problem with believing in a supernatural being - trying to determine what he wants.”

Throughout the world there are people with widely varying beliefs. Many think that they are right and others are wrong. Even within the same religion, say Christianity, many different beliefs about God, the Bible, Jesus, and so forth are prevalent. Hey, even within a single church building you can find people who disagree about what is pleasing to God and what is not. If you have to be exactly right about everything in order for God to save you, then I would say that at most one person will make it, but more likely none. The way I look at it is this. We have all been put here on this Earth through no choice of our own. We have a limited time to live in our fallible human bodies. We’re all trying to make sense of our situation. How we got here. What our purpose is. Where we are headed. How we should live, and why. Given our differences in DNA, personal experiences, and learning backgrounds, it seems highly unlikely that there will ever be widespread agreement on these matters. We need to grant each other a lot of leeway in our search. And as long as others are not using force to impede our search, we should follow Idina’s and Demi’s recommendation: “Let It Go!”

No comments:

Post a Comment